Tis’ the season again for glamorous holiday balls, office Christmas parties, and sparkling new years’ eve parties. It is also the most dreaded time of the year if you are a new mom (or a mom).
As we all know, most things don’t go back to where they should after having kids, but particularly so if you are a new mom. You know you the baby weight will come off, but you are not quite there yet since it has only been a few months since you had the baby. That in between stage is the tough one.
So, what is it that you could wear to all these fancy parties, knowing very well that you don’t look like what you normally do? Here are some tips for dressing for the family holiday get-togethers and fancy parties. These five tips will help you making the right choice and investing in a right outfit for now.
1. Empire waist and lots of flair – Picking a dress with a high waist, fitted bodice and lots of flair below the waist will not only camouflage any problem areas, the flair allows for extra room and allows you to be comfortable all night. The fitted bodice will slim your arms and make your shoulders stand out, while the flair covers hips and thighs.
2. Dark solid colors – Yes black is very slimming but so are dark solid colors. This fall’s colors are deep wine purple and emerald green. Both of these colors are very flattering and the dark rich hues give and illusion of depth. Pair this solid color with a bright pair of shoes or chandelier earrings to add more effect and take the attention away from the body.
3. Color-blocking – It’s no secret that if done right, color blocking can instantaneously take off 5lbs. The before and after pictures are enough to score an endorsement for any weight loss commercial. Color-blocking works especially well when black is one of the colors used for the outfit. Add some nude/beige in that you will give the plastic surgeons a run for their money.
Kate spade dress at zappos.com
4. Sequins and Metallics – Most moms tend to shy away from sequins and metallic as they feel they would rather leave those to the ‘One Republic loving young teenage girls’. On the contrary, if worn correctly, sequins and metallic add that extra shine and sparkle you are looking for not only to stand out from the crowd, but also to be in style. Keep the hair and makeup to a minimum and let the outfit do the talking!
5. Bold accessories and red lipstick – that’s right, I said red lipstick! Not only will red lipstick make your teeth look whiter, it draws all the attention to your lips. Make sure to pick the right shade of red for your skin type and pair with bold earring, bold purse or bright shoes. A win-win situation all around. My personal favorite – MAC’s Ruby Woo